Force.com IDE Installation
The Force.com IDE is available as a plug-in for the industry-leading, open-source Eclipse project.
These instructions show you how to install the Force.com IDE into your existing Eclipse distribution or upgrade from a previous version.
- Supported operating system (List of supported platforms)
- Java SE Runtime Environment 6 (v1.6) or later (Java download page)
- Eclipse 4.2 "Juno" (Eclipse 4.2 download site) or Eclipse 4.3 "Kepler" (Eclipse 4.3 download site) - The 'Eclipse IDE for Java Developers' distribution is strongly recommended.
For more information on support, see the Release Notes.
- Launch Eclipse and click Help > Install New Software....
- Click Add....
- In the Add Repository dialog, set the Name to "Force.com IDE" and the Location to "http://media.developerforce.com/force-ide/eclipse42" and click OK. (Use the same URL for Eclipse 4.3.)
- Eclipse downloads the list of available plugins and displays them in the Available Software dialog.
- Check the box next to the Force.com IDE plugin and click Next.
- In the Install Details dialog, click Next.
- In the Review Licenses dialog, accept the terms and click Finish.
- Eclipse downloads and installs the Force.com IDE and any required dependencies. When installation is complete, you will be prompted to restart. Click Yes.
- When Eclipse restarts, select Window > Open Perspective > Other, select Force.com and click OK.
You are now ready to develop and customize Force.com applications in Eclipse!
Note: When you create a new project, you might be prompted about a new master password. This is a separate password of your choosing required by Eclipse secure storage, and is not associated with your Force.com IDE credentials. For details on Eclipse secure storage, see the Eclipse Workbench User Guide.
Solutions to Common Problems
- Installation fails with the message, "No repository found at http://media.developerforce.com/force-ide/eclipse42. Error reading update site http://media.developerforce.com/force-ide/eclipse42."
- Configure Eclipse to use your proxy server. These settings can be found in your Eclipse Preferences, under General > Network Connections.
- Installation succeeds, but the "Force.com" perspective does not appear under Windows > Open Perspective > Other...
- Add the explicit path to the JRE in the eclipse.ini file that is in the directory where you installed Eclipse. The line should be "-vm <full path to your jre>\javaw.exe"
Attempting to install the Force.com IDE generates the following error:
Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency. Software being installed: Force.com IDE...
Move Eclipse to a folder other than Program Files. See this thread for more details.
Didn't find the answer to your problem? Get help from a product expert on the discussion forums.